The health benefits of cottage cheese
Cottage cheese is enriched with various minerals which altogether play imperative roles by taking part in many of the body functions. Some of the different types of cheese include
Cottage cheese has a good source of various minerals such as
Cheese is a type of milk product that is made in different ways. It can also be purchased in different forms depending on the milk and fat content. Different types of cheeses are prepared with a different procedure and different ingredients are added with them. Thus, different kinds of cheeses had evolved with different flavors.
Cottage cheese is prepared by boiling the milk and then curdling the milk with the help of acidic substances such as lime. Vinegar is used sometimes in place of lime. As the milk boils, it starts to curdle. Therefore, it forms clumps of curds. These curds are compressed to squeeze out the milk serum. After that, it forms a big lump of curd or cheese.
Nutritional Value of Cottage Cheese
The nutrients found in cottage cheese (100 g) include
-energy (98 kcal)
-fat (4.5 g)
-sugar (2.6 g)
-protein (11.12 g)
-vitamin A (37 ug)
-vitamin D (21 ug)
The trace elements found in cottage cheese are 1. Iron 2.calcium 3.magnesium 4.Potassium 5.phosphorous 6.selenium 7.sodium and 8.zinc.
Health Benefits of Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese has many health benefits like:
- Reduced Risk of Breast Cancer:the minerals, calcium and vitamin D which are found in cottage cheese, reduces the chance of breast cancer. Research which was conducted at the Harvard School of Public Health by Shin et al. found that the percentage calcium and vitamin D present in cottage cheese helped in reducing the risk of breast cancer in case of premenopausal women. This research was conducted over a period of 16 years.
- Rich in Protein:cottage cheese has a high amount of casein protein in it, which is why it is considered as one of the biggest health benefits of cottage cheese. Cow’s milk contains the highest amount of casein protein among various milk. The level of protein in cottage cheese is ideal for vegetarians in supplying them with the required amount of daily protein. Cottage cheese does not need to be cooked before it is consumed. You can eat it directly in whatever form or shape it is in.
- Best Foods for Pregnant Women:Cottage cheese is such a food that is more or less recommended for pregnant women by many gynecologists due to various essential nutrients found in it. For instance, pregnant women require higher intake of calcium and by this time you already know cottage cheese is a very good source of calcium. Cottage cheese is enriched with phosphorus, which is an important element found in bones. Phosphorus is also recommended during the time period of pregnancy.
- Rich Source of B-Complex Vitamins:cottage cheese has B-complex vitamins which help in metabolic reactions that take place within our body. Some of them include the following:
-Vitamin B12: this mineral is required by the body for proper brain functioning. Besides, it also helps in absorbing iron.
-Riboflavin: it converts carbohydrates into energy instead of allowing them to change into fat.
-Pantothenic Acid: it behaves as a synthesizer which helps in the formation of proteins, carbohydrates, fats and amino acids in our body.
-Thiamin: it converts sugars into energy in the pyruvate dehydrogenase system.
-Niacin: it plays an important role in digestion, cholesterol reduction, and energy production.
-Folate: it helps in fetal development in pregnant women. Besides this, it also helps in producing red blood cells. But the main role of folate is to keep the heart healthy.
- Improves Digestion:Cottage cheese is rich in phosphorous, that play a major role in the formation of DNA and RNA. Phosphates:
-help in digestion
-help in excretion
-help in the extraction of energy in the cells
- Antioxidant Properties: Selenium is one pf the trace element that is found in cottage cheese. It is required, not more than 50 mcg to 70 mcg in adults. Selenium is an antioxidant that protects cells and DNA from any kind of damage. It is also said by many doctors that an optimum intake of selenium rich foods brings down the risk of prostate cancer. Researchers that were conducted recently suggest that a diet rich in dairy products slightly extend lives of people who are diagnosed with colon cancer.
- Strengthens Bones:Calcium is one of the main elements that are solely found in milk and their products. Therefore, the health benefits of calcium rich foods are bone strengthening and weight loss.
- Heart-Friendly and Maintains Blood Sugar Levels:Cottage cheese is packed with a good source of magnesium. Most of the magnesium is concentrated in the bones of the human body. Magnesium
-acts as a catalyst
-promotes biochemical reactions
-activates various enzymes in the body
-maintains muscle functioning
-maintain nerve functioning
-supports the immune system
-prevents heart attacks
-prevents psychiatric disorders
– prevents a migraine and collagen.
- Prevents Strokes and Controls Anxiety: Cottage cheese is loaded with potassium. In the body, Potassium behaves as a fluid balancing element. Phosphorous plays an important component in the neural activities of the muscle as well as the brain. It relieves muscle cramps. Intake of potassium regularly prevents the risk of getting brain stroke, since it lowers blood pressure and the contraction of vessels. Another health benefit of cottage cheese is that it helps in decreasing stress levels and anxiety. Potassium acts as electrolytes.
- Improves Biological Functions: Zinc which is found in cottage cheese contains 4% of the daily recommended value. In the human body, zinc is found in the 1.Brain 2.muscles 3.bones 4.kidneys 5.liver 6.prostate and 7.eyes.
Zinc helps in the metabolism of DNA and RNA. Zinc is trace elements whose presence in the body helps in:
-improving the immune system
-helps in diabetes control
-fights stress and anxiety
-cures night blindness
-improves ocular health
-prevents appetite loss
-prevents prostate disorder
-fights various infections
-acts as an antioxidant.